Saturday, July 29, 2006

NYT Special Edition - Page 1

Editor’s Note: It’s a rare occasion when a newspaper is nominated to print someone’s criminal record on the front page of its publication. Initially we suspected the supplication was a ruse until requests encouraging us to explore the proposal began pouring in from around the world. Hence, we bequeathed the assignment to our investigative staff reporter, Justin Quiring. Victim's names and other identifying information have been modified and noted in blue at our discretion.

Complaint #98-43406
Filed on 12/28/98 @ 18:11 hours – Assault
Victim: Jane Doe – Mentor, Ohio - W Female 2/x/x2
Suspect: Loretta D. Smith – Avon Lake, Ohio – W Female 2/13/60
Reporting Officer: M. Turek 360

Narrative: Upon arrival at the scene of a reported assault I spoke with Jane Doe. She told me she is watching her fiancee’s daughter, Little Doe, who is 2 ½ years old. She said they have visitation rights with Little Doe until 12/29/98 @ 17:30 hours. She told me that court documents will indicate that Little Doe is to be picked up by her mom, Loretta D. Smith. Her fiancée is John Doe. Jane lives with John. She told me that Loretta came to the home while John was not home. She said that she knew Loretta had called earlier and had asked to be able to pick up Little Doe a day early, but John said no.

Jane said she heard the doorbell ringing over and over and someone banging on the front window. She said she put Little Doe and her 6-year-old in her bedroom and answered the door. She said she asked Loretta to stop and Loretta told her she wasn’t leaving. She said Loretta grabbed the storm door and opened it to come in. Jane is 5 months pregnant and she said she tried to close the storm door by pulling on the handle. She said Loretta punched her in the face with a closed fist, pushed her aside, and entered the house. Jane said she grabbed Loretta’s arm and pushed her out of the house. She said Loretta punched her again in the face. Jane said she wants to prosecute Loretta. See attached voluntary statement from Jane. Loretta left prior to our arrival.

I saw that Jane was visibly upset and was trembling. She was concerned that Loretta might come back. I saw that her lower lip was swollen and was cut inside her mouth and there was a small ¼" cut on the bridge of her nose. Her nose looked swollen. Jane wears glasses and the cut on the nose was where she had her glasses on. The injuries I saw were consistent with the actions she described Loretta taking. I told Jane to contact the MPD if Loretta came back. She refused medical treatment.

Mentor Police Department Voluntary Statement

I, Jane Doe am not under arrest for any criminal offense concerning the events I am about to make known to the Mentor Police Department. Without being accused of, or questioned about any criminal offenses the facts I am about to state, I volunteer the following information of my own free will.

On 12/28/98 @ 6:30, Loretta D. Smith came to my home to get her daughter who is my fiancé’s child also. My fiancé had left her in my care while he went to the doctors. He has a visitation agreement whereas he has possession of the child until 5:30 on Tuesday, 12/29. Earlier in the day she had spoken to him to inform him that she wanted to come a day early to get the child and John told Loretta she could not come over and he had a doctor’s appointment.

She came unannounced and began ringing the bell over and over and was banging on the window. I put the children in my bedroom and opened the door to ask her to stop it and leave. She said she wasn’t leaving and grabbed the storm door and opened it to come in. I grabbed the handle and she punched me in the face and cut my nose. She then pushed me aside and entered my house. I grabbed her arm and pushed her out and she hit me again in the mouth. I would like to prosecute for assault.

I have read each page of this statement consisting of 1 page, Each page of which bears my signature, and corrections, if any, bear my initials, and I certify that the facts contained herein are true and correct. Jane Doe, 12/28/98

Mentor Police Department Supplemental Report
12/28/98, #98-43406, Assault
Ptlm: M. Turek 360
Status: Open, Approved and Reviewed

I contacted Loretta Smith at her home in Avon Lake @ 19:45 hours on 12/28/98. I advised her not to go back to [Address in Mentor] unless she contacted the MPD. I advised her that I would need to obtain a statement from her at MPD on 12/29/98. She told me she would come to the MPD @ 18:00 hours. I told her not to call over to [Mentor] and to contact the MPD if she went back over. She told me she did that before, but it didn’t work.

I spoke with John Doe, and told him I contacted Loretta and told her to stay away from his house. He told me he had made prior arrangements with Loretta to meet her at his Mom’s house on 12/29/98, in Willowick, @17:30 hours. He did not know why Loretta came to [Mentor]. He told me Loretta has been violent towards him in the past.

On 12/29/98 @ 19:45 hours, Smith had not contacted me or come into the MPD to complete a statement. This report will be forwarded to the city prosecutor for review of assault and aggravated trespass charges on Smith.

Report continued on page 2

Labels: , ,